Yorketown area school provides a progressive centre for quality learning that develops students intellectually, emotionally and socially to succeed in an unpredictable world.
We have trained staff and students in the principles of Restorative Practices and this will underpin all wellbeing services, activities and behaviour management.
“I have no special talent.
I am only passionately curious”
“We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.”
J. K. Rowling
“Someone, somewhere is feeling the effects of what you have said or done and this is a great responsibility”
- Have the skills to tackle problems – General Capabilities.
- Understand there is not one answer and look for multiple solutions.
- Students are able to work with others to improve learning outcomes.
- Teachers are using DECD high impact strategies and evidence based practices to deliver Numeracy & Literacy coherently R-12.
- Teachers and Sub Schools monitor student progress and intervention to address difficulties is timely and targeted.
Teachers model and explicitly teach General Capabilities through a range of themes and strategies e.g. Problem Based Learning.
- Teachers provide regular opportunities for collaborative work and explicitly teach skills required.
- Students are involved in work, study or training after school.
- Students are active citizens in their community.
- Students influence those around them in a positive way.
- Students influence their world – locally and globally.
- Students have the confidence and skills to look at situations in a range of ways to come up with new solutions.
- Students strive towards having respectful relationships with all people in their lives.
- Students can resolve issues in a restorative manner.
- Students understand their emotions and have strategies to regulate responses to a range of situations.
Explicit Wellbeing approaches
- All staff model respectful relationships.
- Teachers deliver a Pastoral Care program with activities that teach learners how to develop and restore relationships.
- All staff and students participate in the Smiling Minds mindfulness.
- A mindfulness room is available for students needing time and space.